Call Us Now: 1-623-584-6299

site image

Veteran Benefits

Benefits For Survivors Of Veterans

We’re proud to help honor our country’s veterans and give back to those who sacrificed their lives for our great nation.

State veteran counselors and veteran service agency directors provide specialized counseling regarding available benefits for the survivors of veterans and servicemen under the various programs established by local, state and federal laws. You may contact the Department of Veterans Affairs office by calling (800) 827-1000 if you have any questions regarding the following benefits.


An authorized Federal Government burial allowance up to $300 is provided by Veterans Administration to the survivor or person who pays the funeral expense of an eligible veteran. However, the veteran’s death must either occur in a veterans administration hospital, or the veteran must be receiving, or be eligible to receive, a veterans disability compensation or a veterans pension at the time of his/her death. An additional $150 plot or interment allowance may also be provided. (This $150 is subject to the same eligibility requirements as the $300 burial allowance stated above.)


When a veteran’s death is service connected, burial and funeral expenses may be paid in an amount of $1,500.00 in lieu of the $300 basic burial allowance and the $150 plot allowance.


Transportation costs, when payable, are in addition to the non-service and service connected benefits.


A United States flag is available for a wartime veteran, a veteran discharged or released because of service-connected disability, or a veteran who has served at least one enlistment, from which they were honorably discharged. The flag is presented to the next of kin following burial or cremation services.


This is available to any veteran of a wartime or peacetime service whose last period of service (other than training) terminated honorably. Reservists who die while performing active duty for training, an eligible veteran’s wife, husband, widow widower, minor children, and under certain conditions, unmarried adult children are also eligible.

U.S. citizens who served in time of war in the Armed Forces of an allied government may also be eligible. All expenses incident to the gravesite and actual interment are provided without charge. Application should be made at the time of the veteran’s death.


The government will furnish, free of cost, a headstone or marker to be placed at the unmarked grave of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the Confederate States of America who died in service of whose last discharge was honorable. The next of kin has a choice of four different markers or headstones at the time the application is made.


A widow or widower visiting a veteran’s administration office should have with him/her as many of the following documents and facts as possible. Do not delay contacting the office because all of the items are not readily available.

  • Veteran’s discharge (DD214) 
  • Veteran’s G.I. insurance policy if covered
  • Marriage or divorce certificate
  • Birth certificates of minor children
  • Amounts of all life insurance
  • Amounts of all savings accounts, checking accounts, stocks, bonds, etc.
  • Expenses of deceased’s last illness
  • Record of social security payment
  • Certified copy of death certificate
  • Copy of funeral statement

© 2021 Camino Del Sol Funeral Chapel & Cremation Center. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy